Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2015

Review & Recommendation: Sweet Anthem's Enchanted Collection

As you can tell from my previous reviews (click on the tag on the right or here), I'm a huuuggee fan of Sweet Anthem. I think their scents are of amazing quality and smell like high end perfumes, so when Meredith offered to send me some free samples, I was ecstatic.

Here's how everything came:




I was kinda "unlucky" this time, because unlike the Fall Collection that didn't work out for me, this collection works amazingly on me. So this ended up happening:


Yup. I bought the entire set of 4 10 ml perfumes. Nope, Meredith didn't ask me too or offered any discount/freebies. Yup. I have a shopping problem.

So here's the reviews, done blind as always until the TL;DRs are written. If anything in the notes surprise me, I write an overview.


_______________________________________________


Black Queen

"Apple,  Linden Blossom, Oakmoss, Tonka Bean"

Omg I LOVE this! At first, I got some delicious fruity chewy candy, but now I'm getting this cool, light floral-fruity fragrance that has something very mildly bitter grounding it and making it so much richer and more complex.

After about 10-15 min, I'm getting this powdery sort of vanilla scent and that's the main part of the scent. I still love it, but the initial scent is so much better. The powdery vanilla makes me think of vanity tables with too much lace & frills, or Nanette Lepore type of scents, but there's something in this that keeps it cool and light, stopping it from going too powdery. I guess the interior design equivalent of this scent would be the shabby chic style, where items that are typically garishly twee are arranged in a way that they become elegant instead. This is what I'm talking about:

A lot of the items in this room look like something your grandma or Dolores Umbridge would like, but properly arranged, they look elegant.
Image courtesy of betterdecoratingbible.com


I way prefer the initial scent, but this part is nice enough that I'll still consider getting a full size of this.

TL;DR: Fruity chewy candy turning into a cool, light sort of powdery vanilla.


_______________________________________________


Briar Rose

"Beeswax, Rose Otto, Tomato Leaf, White Amber"

I think I smell roses in this but it could be a suggestion from the name. I definitely smell very fragrant honey and it's kind of weird, but I'm getting hints of what smells like candied cherry tomatoes. The candied cherry tomatoes start smelling closer to green grapes after about 15 min, so maybe it's a grape note taking its time to settle. The green grapes are those Japanese kinds that's really fragrant (similar to Japanese green grape candies) and has an almost jelly-like texture.

There's a slightly waxy and woody scent at the bottom of this, so the scent ends up smelling like honey spilled on a rustic wood table, with candied tomatoes/green grapes served on top of it, while the smell of roses wafts in from the gardens. That may not sound too tempting, but it's really a pretty scent. The scent makes me think of a fresh-faced beautiful young woman, living in a picturesque farm house that looks like this:
Everyone needs to add driving in the Tuscan countryside to their bucket list.
Gorgeous photography by Alex Polli



TL;DR: Honey, roses & green grapes in a picturesque countryside kitchen.

Overview: Huh. I don't know how tomato leaf smells like, but I wonder if it smells like candied tomatoes or green grapes.

_______________________________________________


Red Queen

"Cardamom, Fig, Honey, Leather, Rose, White Pepper"

This is such an intoxicating scent. First, there's leather. I'm a sucker for leather. Masculine, bitter leather. I just get so weak in the knees. At the same time, there's this musky sort of floral blended into it, but the scent still stays pretty masculine. The scent makes me think of trysts in grand libraries (think the Beauty & the Beast library) with a really hot, old-fashioned guy in a suede jacket.

It's a heavier scent and can get a bit heady in hot weather, so watch out for that. I find it very seductive, but I'm still wondering if this is a scent I'd wear frequently enough to justify buying a full size.

TL;DR: Hot trysts with a hot guy (or masculine leaning woman) in the Beauty & The Beast library.


_______________________________________________


Snow White

"Petit Grain, Osmanthus, White Musk, Vetiver"

At first, I got this masculine sort of bitter green that reminds me of hunting lodges. Then, I start getting hints of that scent that I usually associate with purple calcium supplements. The amazing thing is, it never turns into purple calcium supplements and stays amazing. Yes, there's that "purple" sort of smell (vaguely artificial grapes/blueberry/blackberry-ish) that I personally find a tad cloying, but this version has a cool and watery touch to it. It's the kind of cool water that almost has a metallic taste to it.

Like a lot of Sweet Anthem scents, this smells luxurious and can easily pass of as a high end mainstream scent. This scent is perfect for those who love "purple" sort of scents but need a more luxurious, high-class version of it that's suitable for attending the Met Gala. If I'm picking an ad for this scent, it'll be this picture:

I really want to know how they took this picture if the flare effect isn't from editing.
Awesome photo by Daniel Tam

When the scent dries down on me, it becomes this smells like cool, fresh water –so fresh that's it's sweet –coming out a metallic pipe. I hate purple scents so I'm not crazy over this scent, but I have to admit Sweet Anthem did a good job making it tolerable. I wouldn't buy a full size of it, but I didn't mind wearing this scent the whole day while testing it.

TL;DR: Purple scent turned high end.

Overview: I think it's the osmanthus. It likes creating that chalky calcium supplement sort of scent.


No comments:

Post a Comment